[NSRCA-dist8] scoring

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat May 7 08:45:22 AKDT 2011

Good morning Gordon. I caught this before retiring to the shop.
I'm good with all of it.
" I have heard a lot of speculation about using no normalization___."  This
is interesting.
I understand the reasons and need to use normalization especially at large
contests but never favored it. Normalization almost makes each round a mini
contest used for contest placement rather than an accumulation of successful
flights. I prefer my score to be solely my own not a percentage of someone
else's good or bad flight but I do this as a personal challenge.
When I was VP in the mid 80's normalization was adopted and I computed raw
score placement from published NATS results to understand it's fairness and
as I remember placement didn't change above about 6 th place.
Jim