[NSRCA-dist8] Redmond

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 21 17:57:44 AKDT 2011

OK guys, here's the rest of the story. First the pump activating tubing, it
came with the pump from Perry, I believe it is about 1/16 ID vinyl. I pulled
the motor and changed it and while I had the motor out I disassembled and
flushed both the carb and needle valve assemblies, both direction of flow,
using my fuel transfer pump. It still doesn't get sloppy rich but it cooled
the high speed off substantially. It now runs somewhat richer discharging
light brown oil from the pipe with a 1 3/4 open needle valve. It flows a
good stream of oil vapor on long verticals now and is much happier running a
1 1/2 turn open needle valve. I set the pump back to near the factory
setting of about .110" set screw height. Which may be a little lean so I
opened it a quarter turn when I got home. The idle screw is near 3 1/2 turns
in from flush. This engine has a lot of miles on it and probably could use a
new piston ring, which is on order.
I can now get back to trying to optimize the pipe length running the heavy
wood Xoar 18-10 prop. Heck somebody needs to use a wood prop.
See you in Redmond.
Jim