[NSRCA-dist8] Renewals

Steve Sterling rcsteve at tcrcm.org
Fri Dec 16 12:35:14 AKST 2011

How is the move going??  Like every project the Sterling's take on--
full of drama with Murphy right there screwing up every step.

  * A bunch of drama at the closing concerning undisclosed issues that
    the title company popped up
  * Hot tub that needs to be drained, freeze protected and moved on an
    under-designed elevated deck. Need to beef up the deck: joists are
    24" apart (should be 12") and undersized dimensional lumber; the
    support posts are undersized; girders are filched with OSB that is
    rotting out; the ledger is only attached to the house with nails,
    not lag bolts; joists to ledger are toenailed, at minimum should be
    on joist hangers with teco nails; rim joists are way undersized--
    its holding 1/2 the weight of the tub; floor joists are simply
    toenailed to the rim joists. This spa weighs 4000 pounds full of water.
  * Of course, once the Sellers moved out and we took possession, we got
    to see how bad the paint and carpeting was. Oh, that carpet is
    supposed to be tan, we thought it was gray! So hold up everything
    while we paint and replace the carpeting.
  * Sellers had some type of non-standard "dwarf" refrigerator, and had
    installed cabinets right at the top of the dwarf, but left space
    above the cabinets. To get our standard height refrigerator to fit,
    needed to raise all the kitchen cabinets.
  * Needed a better closet "system" so got with California Closets.  OK,
    but too expensive, so bought equivalent from Home Depot, but Steve
    becomes the installer.
  * Had to delay the movers because of the above. Now scheduled for
    Monday.  Packing packing packing so we don't have to pay commercial
    movers $110/hour to put stuff in boxes.  Should be sleeping in the
    new digs Monday night.

Still many issues-- how to route Satellite TV cables to the interior
wall where the TV mounts. How to route Class 5E network cabling to
everything. Fix the hot tub after Steve messed with it and broke it. .....

Steve and Linda