[NSRCA-dist7] District Championships

Anthony Frackowiak frackowiak at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 24 11:45:05 AKST 2015

Hi,

I did not attend the AMA Expo this year and I was not present at the NSRCA meeting. I've been trying to find out what happened as I hear there have been some changes to the D-7 District Championships format.

Let me recap what I heard and please correct me if it is not right.

It started with Sean proposing that we increase the number of contests that are used for the scoring from 3 to 5. It was also proposed that 2 out of district contests be allowed for the scoring. I heard there was a discussion and then a vote either to accept these proposals or to leave it alone. I heard the great majority wanted to have it left alone. There was some discussion after that vote and it was proposed to drop the number of contests to 4 and that there was never a vote on that proposal. But from some sort of process that is how it will be done.

I have some comments regarding this format. Increasing the number of qualifying contests just makes it more difficult for those on a budget to be able to participate in the Championships. I don't see that as a positive change. It's hard enough for those with a more modest income to attend 3 and then the Champs. Why do we want to make it even more difficult? I just don't see the logic in changing a process that has been working so well. After all, the Class Champion is pretty much the one who wins the Champs. I'll bet if you looked at all the years results if you took away the scores from all the contests it would always be the one who won the Champs, if they were an NSRCA member. The only exception I can think of was when I attended the champs in Masters and hadn't flown three events. I can understand the desire to promote participation at the events but we seem to be doing pretty well at that with the system in place. We have more contests and a general trend of more entrants. So I think this is trying to fix something that's not broke.

As to the out of district contests I can see allowing one but if we stay with 3 counting I don't think it should be two. Also, exactly how will that be scored? The previous scoring did not take in to account in the standings anyone who was out of the district or not an NSRCA member. Will being a member be included in these out of D-7 contests?

Also, I hear that it has been decided that the district champs will be going back to the Bear Mountain Flyers field. What other considerations were attempted before making this decision? Shouldn't all the clubs that hold contests at their field in this District have a chance to hold the Champs? The Champs used to move around and now it seems that it can't get out of Central California. That is not fair to the entire district nor to the many other clubs that hold contests. Members in Arizona, Nevada and Utah have been excluded from holding this event for too long. Shouldn't they have a chance to make a bid for it?

I have seen no discussion about these issues at all on this list or any other outlet. Is the leadership seeking input from more then those who attend the Expo?

Thank you for your consideration,

Tony Frackowiak