[NSRCA-dist7] Fwd: Season Championship Thoughts

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 09:12:52 AKST 2015

Speaking as a recent sportsman, I'd say the sportsman pilots fall into the
following two general classes:

1.  Club fliers -- people who like pattern, but aren't into the competition
"circuit" and fly at one or two local-ish events.  This is what I *thought*
I was going to be in 2011 when I flew my first pattern contest at Tomcats.
I enjoyed it and couldn't make it to Hollister, so I drove up to Sacramento
for Frank's contest.  I was pretty sure that was the farthest I would ever
go for a contest.  Turns out, I was really a class 2 pilot.  I found that
out when I drove out to the fresno district championships.  I didn't even
know about the point system yet, but I didn't really care either -- I knew
I didn't have a chance to win, but it was another contest and I wanted
another contest!

2.  New addicts -- Sure, we're new to this stuff, but that just means the
fire burns that much hotter!  We're not jaded + cynical about anything yet,
we love the camaraderie of the contest and the adrenaline high of flying in
front of judges. We get to every contest our schedule and budget allows.
In early 2012 I was wondering if anyone local was driving out to the
Phoenix contest, I wanted to go but didn't want to drive alone...  Most are
not yet so committed as to hit every contest, but if it's within about 200
miles, we're in.  We're smokin' the pattern weed, but we haven't yet
ventured into the harder stuff...

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training
Associate Vice President, Academy of Model Aeronautics District X