[NSRCA-dist7] FAI in D7

atwooddon at aol.com atwooddon at aol.com
Sat Jan 7 05:26:50 AKST 2012

OK, I will chime in.  First, as you will recall, for the 2010 season I
supported the idea to allow those that wanted to fly F at local
contests using the P score sheets.  This was to help FAI flyers wanting
to attend the Nats to gain experience in front of the judges in a
competitive environment.  At the time I felt it was an appropriate move
to make to help our District 7 pilots.  We went thru that year with few
problems other than some of the FAI pilots being concerned where this
was going to lead.  In 2011, we took the next logical step with
including F in the contests being the norm instead of the exception.
And as expected, we did loose FAI pilots because they did not want to
fly F.  That was their choice and they took it.  That choice did lead
to additional Masters pilots and in some cases reduced participation.
Not all the reduced participation can be attributed to the change in
how we run FAI competition but a lot of it is.  What we did in 2010 was
done with good intentions, however, in hind sight I believe it was a
tactical error for our District.
I have read all the discussion here as well as having numerous offline
conversations with Masters and FAI pilots here in northern California.
I have heard about the philosophy of FAI/F3A competition, the
additional demands for preparation, etc.  It breaks down pretty simply.
 Those that are keen on full blown competition want F (and more) at all
contests, those that are interested in flying FAI in a more casual mode
do not want anything more than P.  Those that fall in the latter group
basically won't fly FAI if F is required, I don't recall any exception
to that in my conversations.
Jon outlined our problem with an overload in Masters and the problems
it causes for CDs, judging time, and he offered some options.  The
'what is best for the District'.  Personally, I will go with what ever
the District decides. I don't have much interest in flying F, but I am
not going to move to Masters if that happens.  I also believe for the
benefit of the District we should return to the 2010 approach to allow
those that desire it to fly F in preparation for the Nats but the
competition is based on the P schedule.  No requirement or expectation
of F participation.
At some point soon, we need to decide how to approach this year.  I
agree with Tony that a consistent approach is better so people know how
to prepare for the season but as always, the CD has the final say as to
what will included in the contest.  Also, I think we need to
consciously maintain an environment that supports attendance at
contests.  If you have ever been in service oriented business you have
probably heard the saying 'it is much easier to keep a customer than it
is to find a new a customer'.  Pattern is much the same, we need to
focus on keeping the flyers we have because it is getting to be harder
and harder to find new pattern flyers.  So, long winded reply but would
ask everyone to consider what is best for our District when voting or
whatever way we decide the approach for this year.
Don