[NSRCA-dist7] A proposal for FAI at the local level

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 11:21:45 AKDT 2010

Bill and Steve,

After reading your posts, I think there may be some misunderstanding of the
 intent of Jon's proposal.  From your email wording, it sounds like you
think the FAI pilots need to decide at the contest what format they want to
use.  Jon's proposal asks that if the FAI F schedule will be used during  the
contest that the CDs post well in advance via the newsgroup, contest flyer,
 etc. Yes, it is still the CD's choice as to the format but as a FAI pilot,
 you would not show up then get surprised.  If there is no prior
notification, the pilot should be assured F is not offered. It won't be voted on  by
the pilots at the beginning of the contest.  Any FAI pilot thinking of
attending a contest would know well in advance what sequence format will be
'offered'.  The pilot can then decide if and how they want to  participate.

While this isn't a perfect solution to keep everyone happy, I still believe
 it the best interim solution that provides a common, predictable format
for  the district.  No surprises, etc.  It also provides a bridge to a
possible full implementation that could be decided prior to the next contest
year. If we don't go thru this interim solution, when the topic comes up  again
next year we will be right where we are today. I did have a chance to  ask
Jon about this recently.  He indicated he had received off line  comments
from some FAI pilots (approximately five) about his proposal  that had not
commented online.  At that time all comments had been that  they would support
the approach.

Masters  -  I agree, this could become a BIG problem.  Last  year saw a
movement of some Masters pilots to the FAI ranks which really helped  at a lot
of contests.  I haven't seen the contest reports on number of  pilots in
Masters for this year, but, it sounds like it was a problem  already.  Bill,
are you proposing that 2 rounds of Masters are coupled  together with the same
Masters judges for each round and the 'round' scores are  tied to the judge
panels rather than the physical round?  If so, that  sounds workable to me,
similar approaches are used at the Nats and at  International contests to
provide 'near equal' exposure to judge panels.   Weather is always a crap
shoot, even within individual rounds.

Don

In a message dated 3/15/2010 6:35:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,