[NSRCA-dist7] Servo replacement / wear - how to tell

Scott scottcov at comcast.net
Thu May 22 07:05:26 AKDT 2008

There was some of the typical RC discussion at Hemet - and one topic that
came up, as it usually does, is servo wear and replacement. With today's
digital servos, I have the following questions about digital servo
replacement;

1) what are the symptoms of a digital servo that is starting to wear out?
    - poor centering ?
        - does this equate to a louder 'buzz' at center
        - is the only way to tell this to put a servo on some sort of
protractor and look at the centering?
        - does thee servo draw more current?

2) What tests can be performed either 'in the plane' or 'outside the plane'
to determine if a servo needs to be replaced?
    - In plane testing would be ideal, but we must compare against a 'new'
servo, so maybe this is not practical.

Any thoughts on the above would be considered.

Thanks

sc