[NSRCA-dist1] Greetings

John Pavlick jpavlick26 at att.net
Mon Aug 18 10:07:44 AKDT 2014

For what it's worth: Anthony coached me through practice  last weekend. I
started with the current 403 sequence and then I flew the proposed 403
sequence a few times. I think I flew 4 or 5 flights - flying the sequence
twice per flight with an OS160-powered  BM V2.2. It actually wasn't too bad
but then again it wasn't very windy. I can see where if it WAS windy and
there was another airplane in the air (i.e. at a real contest) it could
become a bit of a challenge. It would be nice if there were more line
correction maneuvers with a pilot's choice of rolls (i.e. Humpties and Top
Hats with "options"). The hourglass can be a TALL maneuver. If we're
concerned at all about the FAA.

Other than that it actually flew better than it looked on paper. With some
more practice I don't think it will present any problems for me next year.

I think what sometimes happens with new sequences is that we try to
"prepare" the pilot for the next class more than we should. It's REALLY up
to the pilot to do that. There's no law that says that if you compete in 403
you can only practice 403 maneuvers at the field. I was on the sequence
committee for the 402 sequence right after I won the district championship
(in 2006) and started flying 403. I resisted the urge to make the "new" 402
sequence any more difficult than the current one and I think we did that.

John Pavlick

Cell: 203-417-4971

idslogo2

Integrated Development Services