[NSRCA-discussion] New FAI Rule Changes

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 22:15:20 AKDT 2023

Vicente,

The issue that I see is that you may be downgrading a maneuver
unnecessarily more than it should be.  In P23 for the triangle - the
maneuver description states (and we always go by the description when we
judge) that each radius must be equal and the lines must be 45 degrees and
if that's the case, and the maneuver is flown correctly, we don't look at
line lengths because if it is centered correctly and the radii are the same
and the lines are 45's then it is geometrically accurate according to the
description.  If the radii are not the same (downgrade) and the lines are
not 45's (downgrade) then either one line will be too long or too short
(downgrade), that will become a downgrade based on comparing the two 45
line lengths (0.5 for a minor error or more points for more severe line
lengths differences) and if not centered then we will downgrade at the end
of the maneuver for the percentage of the maneuver that is outside of the
maneuvering zone (offset from center).

There can and should be only one way a judge can see downgrades - judges
should not differ on this.  If one is seeing things that other judges are
not, then one isn't judging by the rules.  A judge may miss a downgrade but
everyone should be on the same page with regard to downgrades.

Hopefully this helps!

Best,
-Derek