[NSRCA-discussion] New Deans plug

Dave Harmon k6xyzdave at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 10:11:34 AKDT 2021

Everyone’s comments are right on but I thought I would add a couple more.

I use a 100 watt chisel tip stick iron.

It has more than enough heat to quickly do the job…..a small iron held on for a long time will melt everything.

There are a couple of soldering techniques that go along with the larger iron….

I insert the plug/socket together then use a large hemostat on the other end of the contact I am soldering.

This acts as a heatsink and also stabilizes the work.

Clean everything with contact cleaner or lacquer thinner….it’s much more difficult to solder if the work has finger oil etc on it.

I use 16 gauge (.062) 60/40 solder….I get it from Mouser Electronics because I have an account….other sellers are just as good.

Made by MG Chemicals.

Liquid flux by GC Electronics.

This solder is a bit larger in OD so that you can quickly flood it onto the work and get a good job.

This takes about 3 to 4 seconds provided that the wire and contact are properly tinned….Peter has the right idea.

Use a lot of liquid flux….this is important because in addition to helping the solder to flow….it speeds up the entire job with less overall heat to the connectors.

It’s really important to flood the wire with liquid flux before the tinning of the wire….the solder quickly wicks in as soon as the iron touches the wire…mebby 2 seconds….then quickly flood on the solder…..more is a lot better than less….as long as it flows.

10 gauge wire is easy to handle like this.

Flood on more solder when the wire touches the contact…..the connection needs to be mechanically strong as well as electrically low loss..

Flattening the wire with a hammer after tinning helps but I have had problems as soon as the heat hits the flat wire.

Several strands always fly up and get in the way so I don’t do that anymore….I leave the wire twisted after stripping.

I’m pretty sure everyone in this crowd knows all this already but I have never seen anyone post any techniques on this list before.

It’s an art more than a technique…..

David Harmon

Sperry, OK