[NSRCA-discussion] 2020 NATS Canceled

mups53 mups53 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 05:03:08 AKDT 2020

MikeIf a Nats could be rescheduled for September.Where would you propose it being held? Mike Mueller Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Dr. Mike Harrison via NSRCA-discussion" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> Date: 5/15/20  8:12 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: 'Stephen Franc' <franc.k3ez at gmail.com>, 'General pattern discussion' <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>, 'Don Ramsey' <donramsey at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] 2020 NATS Canceled I agree with you Stephen.  The Covid scare is so great that it would be unwise to try to fly in July.  However, I do feel that later in the year could be doable-possibly September.  Dr. Michael S. Harrison, DDS122 Corporate TerraceHot Springs, AR 71913(501) 520-6677 From: NSRCA-discussion [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Franc via NSRCA-discussionSent: Friday, May 15, 2020 8:01 AMTo: Don Ramsey <donramsey at gmail.com>Cc: General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] 2020 NATS Canceled Don,   I know of several conversations that Archie had with AMA headquarters expressing the NSCRA's concerns that a June decision date was too late to make a go/no go decision for the NATS.  As you are aware the amount of preparations for an event this size is monumental even when the NATS take place in Muncie.  Currently there are way too many unknowns (something the FAI guys are familiar with :-), regarding accommodations, social distancing, meals, banquet, judging, transportation, quarantine periods, etc. to permit proper planning and coordination.  At one point we were told that a decision would be made during the April 25th AMA Executive Board Meeting.  The NSCRA felt that a decision at that time would be adequate to allow for participation and competition at a level expected at the NATS.  Unfortunately the meeting resulted in a no decision and reverting back to the June decision date.  NSRCA district VPs have polled their districts and it would appear that under the current limitations and restrictions (even after what maybe a gradual relief in some localized areas)  less than 50% of previous NATS participants said they would attend due to multiple concerns.  (health risk, lack of accommodations, issues associated with social distancing while competing and judging, expected quarantine requirements, the fact that most have not had adequate practice, etc.).   I understand that NATS is an AMA contest, and that local district contests are sanctioned by the AMA, but even local contests get canceled by CDs for various reasons, (weather, facilities, flooding, pandemic, etc.) without the need to ask the AMA for permission.  (understanding that sanctioning fees to the AMA are usually not  refundable).  But similar to this case with the NATS these events are canceled, delayed, and possibly rescheduled in order to prevent undue expenses, travel, and inconveniences to contest participants.   Don't get me wrong.  I have been an AMA member on and off since the early 60s flying single channel escapement, galloping ghost, reed, early proportional, through our current technology, and fully support the AMA and there actions as we progressed from 27 Mhz, 72 Mhz wide band, 72 Mhz narrow band, 2.4 GHz spread spectrum, flying field support, and our current issue of registration, UAV tracking and ID.  Their lobbying for our hobby over the years with the powers to be in Washington has permitted most of the advances we enjoy and take advantage of today, and the AMA is to be complimented for their dedication and persistence.  Our hobby has become so diverse, especially associated with advances in technology and manufacturing that almost anyone can purchase a RTF airframe (plane, copter, quad, etc.) and be successful.   Unlike the early days of building kits, covering with silk and dope, installing radio gear, nitro engines, and going through a rigorous training period to be able to acquire the skills necessary to fly safely and return home after a day at the flying field with you plane in one piece,  the hobby of RC flying has become one of having enough dollars to buy  the right equipment with the expectations of instant gratification.  It's the Special Interest Groups associated with the hobby where you will find the longevity, innovation, dedication, and in most cases the future of RC aeronautics. Hopefully the AMA leadership understands this and takes into consideration all the Special Interest Groups concerns.   Steve FrancAMA 633375NSRCA 4599    On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 7:52 AM Don Ramsey <donramsey at gmail.com> wrote:Steve, You make valid points.  I would hope the NSRCA leadership worked with AMA before making a decision and saying the NATS is canceled.  The NATS is an AMA contest not a NSRCA contest just as a local contest is generally an AMA contest.  Would you think it correct for NSRCA to cancel a local event and publish it as canceled without consulting the host?   Don RamseyAMA 6096NSRCA - Yes  From: NSRCA-discussion [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Franc via NSRCA-discussionSent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:29 PMTo: Atwood, Mark; General pattern discussionSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] 2020 NATS Canceled So I guess the same rationale applies to the Free Flight and Control line and RC Scale competitions which have been canceled?   I certainly understand the concerns for the World Selection process...  But it sort of raises the question of why have/support the NSRCA?  If the leadership of our organization, after much discussion and consideration of current and projected limitations imposed upon us by the Coronavirus and mandated restrictions, came to the difficult decision of not participating in the NATS this year due to what hardships will be associated with attending (anticipated cost of putting on a poorly attended contest, lack of accommodations, lack of restaurants, anticipated judging difficulties and participation issues due to mandated social distancing, extremely late decision by the AMA to even host the outdoor NATS, etc.)  and this decision is just ignored by the AMA....  Then it must be time to disband the NSRCA due to its lack of recognition as a special interest group.   We've had districts leave the fold of the NSRCA in the past and they have survived... holding the same amount of contests, doing judging, giving out awards, etc.  Add to that the fact that you don't even need to be a NSRCA member to participate in NATS  (only AMA) then why are all these District VPs and elected officials of the NSRCA bothering to put in a lot of time and effort supporting the hobby of RC Precision Aerobatic flying.  To put on the NATS it still takes a lot of volunteers for  event CD, judges, score keeping, line bosses, etc.  Is the AMA planning on providing personnel to do all these functions?   Unfortunately not all districts have had adequate practice times for pilots to become proficient with the new sequences due to field closures, social districting, and localize executive orders by governors.  So in reality what level of competition will even be present if the AMA decides to proceed with this event.  The 2020 Pandemic NATS will need to have an asterix next to the Class winners to signify insignificant competition due to lack of participation. I believe everyone in the NSRCA has always promoted and supported the AMA.  Now its time for the AMA to recognize the NSRCA and get behind the NSRCA recommendation. Steve FrancAMA 633375NSRCA  4599   On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:35 PM Atwood, Mark via NSRCA-discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote:I hate to provide shallow hope, but I have it from the AMA that this is a bit of a mis-statement.  The NSRCA has elected not to participate in running the AMA Nationals, but the AMA has yet to cancel the AMA Nationals.  They are well aware of the effort involved to run one without the NSRCA, but as of now are seriously considering doing so.  If Indiana will permit it, they would prefer not to cancel their event.    They (AMA) still plan to make a decision on June 10th.  This clearly adds a strong data point in their considerations, but I strongly hesitate to say it’s cancelled.  Moreover, if the AMA continues to go forward with the Nats in July, I would strongly suspect that the FAI Team selection committee would push to utilize that event for the F3A team selection.    MARK ATWOODo.  (440) 229-2502c.  (216) 316-2489e.  atwoodm at paragon-inc.com Paragon Consulting, Inc.5900 Landerbrook Drive, Suite 205, Cleveland Ohio, 44124www.paragon-inc.com Powering The Digital Experience On May 14, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Archie Stafford via NSRCA-discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote: CAUTION: Message originated from outside of Paragon. Use caution regarding any links, attachments, credential and financial requests.  NOTICE: THE 2020 PRECISION AEROBATICS NATS HAS BEEN CANCELLED. From Archie Stafford : The board members and officers of NSRCA have unanimously voted to cancel the 2020 Precision Aerobatics Nationals  This decision was made because of the uncertainty and risk  of the COVID-19 pandemic as well as time and financial constraints brought on by the virus to competitors and support staff.  We believe that this is both a logical and safe decision.  Thank you and stay safe.  Archie Stafford - President NSRCA_______________________________________________NSRCA-discussion mailing listNSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.orghttp://lists.nsrca.org/mailman/listinfo/nsrca-discussion _______________________________________________NSRCA-discussion mailing listNSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.orghttp://lists.nsrca.org/mailman/listinfo/nsrca-discussion