[NSRCA-discussion] Digital and analog servos on sport plane

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Fri Mar 27 12:20:29 AKDT 2020

Sorry to hear that you had to learn this the hard way. To be clear it's not
that NiCads themselves are bad or inferior in any way. In fact there are
plenty of NiCad batteries that could easily provide power for multiple
digital servos. The problem is that the NiCads that we typically use in
model airplanes are of the "high-capacity" variety, NOT the "high-current"
variety. Although all NiCads have the same output voltage, they don't all
have the same output current capability. We typically use 700mAh - 1000 mAh
NiCads in 60-size and smaller sport airplanes. Even the 1000 mAh cells could
create the conditions that Robert described. It's because the
"high-capacity" variety usually have higher internal resistance. Anyone who
flies electric Pattern knows what this means: they can't deliver their rated
output voltage at high current levels. The servos want what they want, when
they want it. If the current demand is high and the resistance is high as
well, the voltage will sag.

There are plenty of good batteries available that will be able to provide
enough current to feed the digital servos. I was using dual 900 mAh LiPos
with 2 TechAero regulators in my glow Pattern planes. This setup is light
and it gives you redundancy: if one pack fails for any reason you can still
fly.

Just do your research before you risk your airplane.

John Pavlick

Cell: 203-417-4971

Integrated Development Services