[NSRCA-discussion] Plettenberg Advance 30-10 ESC - Questions

Chad Northeast chadnortheast at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 06:27:18 AKDT 2020

I will chime in my 2 cents on the Pletty.  I have used the Jeti Spin 99 and the Futaba 9100 (same as OS 1100) and the D3, all of them without issues so I think you are safe with those for sure.  I have not used the CC or the Jeti Mezon, but I imagine the Mezon is like the Spin.  There is no issue taking a Pletty Advance to 90A, and no issues for big props, in fact the bigger the better.  I use a 22-13, which hits around 85A and 6300 RPM on the ground, any prop made you can run on the motor depending on what you like.

Braking has always been an issue, even with the Jeti/Futaba ESC braking set I have never been able to get it “perfect” where its good in downlines and in 45’s etc, there always seemed to be a compromise.  Propellor selection had some impact, I found APC’s brake better than a Falcon on their own so that helped to get the balance better at least for my style.

This is where the D3 shines (braking/constant speed), I think blows the doors off every other controller made.  It is a total re-learn of how you fly, but once you get it I don't think you would want to go back.  For those that don't know, the D3 is produced just for pattern and is custom to every motor, so you order for the motor you want.  There is no programming, no telemetry, nothing really, you just put it in the model setup your tx and fly.  It is a governor controller so setting up your RPM is absolutely critical, if you get it wrong you will not have great results and likely struggle with it.  However the ability to get constant speed is very good, it really turned the Pletty into a setup that has braking as good as anything else IMO.  It manages power for you in a lot of cases, for instance as you pull vertical and the models starts to slow down and load the prop the esc will apply power to maintain rpm, so you don't need to throttle up much, maybe 2 clicks on the stick.

Some of the adjustments you need to get used to, generally you want to start throttling up prior to pulling the exit radius, as the esc is always maintaining rpm of the motor you dont have that freewheel to help carry speed out of an exit.  So if you don't throttle up early you will really lose airspeed.  Mostly in looping elements you actually never need to really come to a full idle, as the esc is essentially braking all the time to maintain the rpm based on your stick position.

I have also found it very efficient consumption wise, as good or better than the Futaba/Jeti’s that I have used prior.  Some really nice side benefits, it is light ~70g and inexpensive.

Below is a chart of rx output and motor rpm for the Pletty, personally I use 950 rpm for landing, 1950 rpm for normal flight (downline idle), and 5600 rpm at my midstick position.  In case it doesn’t show up properly, one column is % of output, one column is us output of rx (0 - 2000 us) and last is motor rpm.

100.00%	2000	6700
90.00%	1800	6030
80.00%	1600	5360
70.00%	1400	4690