[NSRCA-discussion] Sheeting built up wings...old school!

Andre Bouchard txf3a at entouch.net
Tue Dec 15 06:05:47 AKST 2020

Those jigs that Matt references come with the Interceptor kit that Henry is building.  Similar jigs come with the Allure/Alchemy builders, FlightHobby etc.  They are the best way to go, but IMO are really only practical to do if developed with CAD and laser cutting.

A hybrid of the above (full rib support) involving foam would be to cut a foam wing and just use the shucks for the support since you already have the skeleton and you would want to downsize the sheeting from 2mm to 1/16 for an all foam wing.

I built all of my 60-size MK kits using the jig idea I described.  You really only need support at the LE and TE for your build.  When we still had LHS you could find balsa strips of the the right size and you could compare widths to get matched strips, so no cutting was involved except for length.  Today, I think Hobby Lobby will have the balsa sheet/strips that you would need.

As others have mentioned, if any sheeting is put on without the wing being in a jig a warp will be induced.  Please do not do that.

Regards,

Andre