[NSRCA-discussion] Rules Proposal - Limiting Size/Power for Sportsman and Intermediate

Dr. Mike Harrison drmikedds at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 10 13:13:10 AKST 2019

Thank you all for your inputs.  I want to qualify some of my reasoning, most of which you have already heard.  I assure you this is not a ready, fire , aim concept nor impulsive act on my part. I have been an avid participant for 40 years.  I have flown every class.  I have been actively involved in many ways.  I have a very good understanding and knowledge of the history of pattern and the trends and the reasons.

I have talked to numerous modelers and/or would be pattern flyers and flyers newly in the pattern world.  The “would be” pattern flyers felt the expense was very high, the newly entered felt like they spent an exceptional amount to get into it.  Others that entered with smaller airplanes said they not only felt like they were at a disadvantage, they knew they would have to buy the bigger plane to be competitive.

Of course on another note, they have not yet experienced the pain of financing all the maintenance, crashes etc that go into this sport.

 I processed all this over a period of a couple of years.

My efforts were directed at making the entry level affordable yet competitive to give a true sense of competing at pattern at a fraction of the cost - not by a few  percentage points but by 50 to 75% less- around $1000 cost vs $2000-$4000 cost.  Some of you claim that is not an issue-well maybe not to you, but to others it is, so they simply don’t do it.  We cannot determine that number of potential flyers we lose because of expense-maybe a lot, maybe not.

I am going to request a change to the grandfather clause so that it is forever.  That was what I was going to do originally but was persuaded otherwise.  Those that are currently in it can stay with no issues.

For those that have 2M planes but are waiting to enter,,,,what are you waiting for?  If you enter this year you will be grandfathered in.

Some of you are forecasting gloom and doom, however there is no way to know the results of the rules proposal.  I believe it is a true change that can help foster growth and development.  I don’t see this hurting the companies at all, in fact, it should improve it and stimulate more sales.  It will also send a message to make them more affordable.

This rules change will take time to have a positive effect-probably years..

There are legitimate counter proposals but no one has put them forward.  I strongly recommend that happen.  I also really like the marketing and public promotions concept.  The problem with it is that goes  away as soon as the promoter tires of doing it.   So it is no longer.   Need a rule that stays.

There needs to be rules in place that encourage participation.  Maybe having sportsman class is enough, but once that person leaves that class they are in for a big financial hit.

It is apparent that some of you don’t know how the rules process works.  This a  lengthy process and the rules can be changed and amended to get a better result.  Consider that avenue.

Do the bonus plan-somebody propose it…..

Mike H