[NSRCA-discussion] Price for a pattern plane...

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sat Jan 5 08:45:43 AKST 2019

That’s what many people do which is why changing the rules to give a smaller plane an “advantage” in 401 and 402 is not only unnecessary but probably more detrimental than you might think.

Assuming someone knows that Pattern exists in the first place, the first question they ask is “What kind of plane do I need”. My answer is ALWAYS the one that you’re most comfortable with. Sometimes that’s a 90-size plane like a Venus (or the modern equivalent), sometimes it’s a 60-size scale aerobatic airplane. It’s almost NEVER a 2-meter Pattern plane. So there really is no problem as far as hardware is concerned. They don’t need to buy anything to give Pattern a try. They just need to know where the contest is.

Many clubs have Pattern pilots in them. In this case, people who may be interested in flying Pattern will seek out the help of the Pattern guys in the club. In fact, I bet that 99.9% of the NSRCA members look for potential Pattern pilots in their club and offer to help them get started. Many of these people end up at a contest. In my club, I taught someone how to fly and I noticed that he had skills. I told him to get a Venus 60 (this was a long time ago) and start practicing the 401 schedule. I helped him practice and this also got other people interested: “What are you guys doing? Can I try?”. My Student became a 401 District Champion the second year that he was flying. With a Venus 60.

The point is: there is nothing wrong with the 401 schedule or the airplane/equipment requirements. Sportsman is a bit challenging at first but not overwhelming. If it is then that person won’t survive 402 or 403 anyway.

So what made the Sunday “sport” flyers in my club take up Pattern?

1.	They were told that it existed.
2.	They had help getting started.
3.	They didn’t need to buy anything special.

The first item was my doing. Not NSRCA’s. Think of how many more people would get involved if we didn’t rely on JUST the club Pattern guys to do our recruiting…

John Pavlick

Cell: 203-417-4971

Integrated Development Services