[NSRCA-discussion] Pattern and Social Media

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Fri Jan 4 10:04:26 AKST 2019

Increasing exposure to the entire aeromodelling community is, in my opinion, the BEST way to promote Pattern. Concentrate more on that than anything else. I flew Sportsman with a super Kaos 40 and I won more than a few contests with it (eventually). The airplane wasn’t what held me back from winning the District Championship in my first year - it was ME.

I didn’t even know that the NSRCA existed until one of my club members told me that he heard about a “Pattern Contest” in  a nearby state from someone that he met at a fun-fly. You guys are like a secret society – especially in Connecticut. Most people here still think that a Pattern plane has a 60-size engine with a pipe and retracts. When I showed up at my first contest with my Super Kaos 40 and I saw all of the 2-meter pregnant guppies on the flight line I wasn’t sure I was in the right place but I soldiered on and flew in the contest. I came in second out of 2 entries in Sportsman. The pilot who won was flying a 60-size Ugly stick.  A few years later I was the D1 402 District Champion (flying a second-hand Focus 1).

Please, focus on enlightening the rest of the World and let them know that Pattern EXISTS. This should increase participation more than anything else. Also be aware that not everyone will want to fly Pattern. Pattern flying is difficult. Those of us who understand this enjoy the challenge. People who want instant gratification will not. Don’t try to fix that - it’s not possible.

As far as I’m concerned, you don’t need to change ANYTHING to attract more (potential) Pattern pilots. Just make them aware of the NSRCA and let them know where the contests are.

John Pavlick

Cell: 203-417-4971

Integrated Development Services