[NSRCA-discussion] Apology

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Wed Aug 21 06:49:00 AKDT 2019

Just to clarify,

The scoring program used was provided by the organizers, i.e. Italians, (not the US).  There is a process for certification prior to use, and this was completed.  I believe the issue at hand was NOT a software glitch, but a simple user error.  As someone here pointed out earlier, there are many configuration options in these programs and in this case, it provided results that were not intuitively incorrect.   Short version is that the normalization “base” should have been 15 pilots, and instead it used 5.  Which, by the way, is the difference between a semi final setup, and a finals set up.

Regardless, the FAI subcommittee is already in discussion about procedures to prevent this from occurring in the future.   One issue that complicated matters was the use of a single flight line for the Semi-Finals.  This resulted in a flying day that lasted from 8am - 8:40pm with NO lunch break.  Too long.  As a result, it was a scramble to finalize scores, certify, have a TM meeting to verify and go through unknowns, and then finally distribute unknowns at 11PM.  WHICH also breaks the rules of not providing unknowns 12hrs in advance of flying.  Thankfully there were no protests for that.

These are complicated events, with a lot of moving parts.  Something that we’re about to learn first hand as we host the 2021 worlds.  It’s a hobby.  Everyone is a volunteer.  Everyone is passionate about model aviation.  Everyone is doing their utmost best to provide the best possible event and outcomes, just like we will do for 2021 (GO MONTE!!!!).

There were many pilots whose standings were negatively (and a few positively) affected by the error in normalization.  There is little to be done to effectively “fix” that for everyone that was impacted.

I’ve formally asked for, and have received 3 things from the FAI Jury.    Admission and acknowledgement that the error occurred.  A formal apology to those affected, including Joseph. And immediate discussions to establish new procedures that will help eliminate this from happening in the future.

I do not expect an invitation to be offered.  It’s simply more complicated.  Other countries have pilots that were impacted, though maybe not as critically as Joe.  Regardless, adding additional entrants will likely invite other protests.  As it is, the US will likely have as many as 5 on our team given that we still have the reigning Jr. World Champion.   Adding to the confusion will be the addition of female pilots on any team that has or wishes to bring one (Similar to the addition of Jr. Pilots a few years ago).

I’m not trying to defend the mistake that was made, but simply trying to explain it, and emphasize that it was indeed, a mistake.  They happen in all facets of life.  I’m an advocate that acknowledging them, apologizing for them, and making every effort to prevent them from happening again is what separates good organizations from bad.   I believe that is happening here.

-Mark