[NSRCA-discussion] Today’s update from Mark

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 14:26:40 AKDT 2019

Day 8 - Contest Day 2

I've been remiss in not pleading everyone that's reading this to consider supporting Team USA by buying some of our fund raising raffle tickets!!!! Seriously... if you have a passion for pattern and enjoy seeing our team send the very best to these events, we need to put up some financial support. It's been decades since these were sponsored events, and I assure you that even in the best fund raising years the team members still have a significant investment in these trips. And hopefully you can tell, they're a lot of work. So please take a look!!

https://www.teamusaf3a.com/index.php/giant-raffle

Back to todays events.

Very much a Lather, Rinse, Repeat day at the WC’s. Only hotter. Blytheville hot. But with corn. And peacocks.

It was a very long day, as it will be for the next few. We had a little bit later start this morning, but the guys were still up and out to the site. It’s a LOT of packing and unpacking of planes and driving back and forth from one site to the other. It would be really easy to forego watching each other’s flight, and save some of the running around. But the group is very committed to supporting one another and being there for each and every flight if logistically possible.

Everyone flew well today. Scores were a bit all over. It’s so hard to tell because you can’t compare your score/flight from yesterday to todays since their in front of different judges and the bar may be higher or lower. All you can do is compare to some of the other flyers on the same line.

I’ve listed our new scores on the lines with scores from yesterday (the D2 indicates Day 2, i.e. todays scores) Along with a few other known key scores.

Morning group on Site B
 CPLR 481
 Andrew 467.5
 Gernot 463
 Seba 463
 Joseph 430

Morning Group Site A
 Stefan Kaiser 486
D2 Jason 482
 Robin Trump 476
 Kal 464
 Chad Northeast 452
D2 Brett 442

AfterNoon on Site B
 Jason Shulman 479
 Stefan Kiaser 472
D2 Kal 470
 Brett Wickizer 469
 Lassi 463

Afternoon on Site A
 Onda 506
D2 CPLR 487
D2 Andrew 484
D2 Gernot 472
D2 Joseph 468

Slowly the pieces start to fall into place but nothing will really be clear until end of day Wed when they announce the semi-finalist and their standings.

We all got back around 8pm and decided to be lazy and just eat in the hotel restaurant. GREAT choice. Possibly the best food we’ve had, and we’ve had some good food. Yes, I took a photo of my homemade pasta with sausage and tomatoes. It’s was extremely good. Turns out it was just the first course (I had ordered the daily special). I was stuffed by the time course 2 came out with steak and veggies. And then apparently course 3 was apple pie (sort of). And all for 20€. So that was a pleasant surprise. Apparently mixing your food is not a habit here and everything is served very seperate.

Tomorrow - day 3 of the prelims. Our flights start at 8:40 and end at 6pm. Which is thankfully a little earlier.

OH!! How could I forget! We have batteries! I did post that earlier. I was lucky to be standing in the right place at the right time when someone mentioned that the UPS truck was leaving because they had a box that required a signature and there was no one to sign. A short sprint (in sandals no less) and an illegible scribble with a magic digital pen and BOOM! We had portable power. Unicorns rejoiced under a rainbow of butterflies. :)

Needless to say we were happy, as was Team Canada and Team Australia whom all had batteries in the same box.

Thus endeth the saga of the lithium. ’till the morrow...