[NSRCA-discussion] What's going on at the WC?

Vogel, Peter Peter_Vogel at intuit.com
Sun Aug 4 14:42:42 AKDT 2019

Day 7 - Let the games Begin!!!

As I mentioned early today, the contest is afoot, and we started out with Joseph setting the pace with a good flight early in the morning.  There’s little point in me trying to provide a blow by blow account of each flight throughout the day so I’m going to try and be brief and let the scores and the photos speak for themselves (though I will try to provide some context for the photos)

Our guys are all off to a great start.  Quick reminder… There are 4 judging panels, and the pilots are divided up into 4 groups.  So one group, flies in front of one panel, each day.  When you fly in front of Judge panel A, that’s your round 1.  When you fly in front of panel B, that’s your round 2, and so on.   So SOME guys flew their round 1 today, others their round 2, etc.  So you can ONLY compare the scores of those on the same round.    One judge panel can be substantially higher scoring than another, so scores between rounds don’t really compare at all.

Additionally, once all four rounds are completed, TBL will be applied.  That’s a process to statistically remove overt, as well as unintentional bias.  It can also radically change some scores.

Some key scores:
Morning group on Site B
*CPLR 481
Andrew 467.5
Gernot  463
Seba 463
Joseph 430

Morning Group Site A
*Stefan Kaiser 486
Robin Trump 476
Kal 464
Chad Northeast 452

AfterNoon on Site B
*Jason Shulman 479
Juan Rombaut 472
Sandro Matti 472
Brett Wickizer 469
Lassi 463

Afternoon on Site A
*Onda  506

*Represents the current high score for that round

I wish I had more scores for you from site A in the afternoon, but they have not yet posted any score summaries (**Update - there's a photo of Afternoon Site A Scores now).  I was able to look up individual scores and did so for specific people.  If there is someone in particular you’re trying to follow, comment and I’ll try to include them in future posts.

With so many pilots (111) the scheduled flights go from 0800 - 1730 each day.  Long days.    Today went extremely well I think not only for Team USA, but for the event as a whole, which ran fairly seamlessly.  There were issues here and there, but overall it was smooth.   One issue that surfaced was radio interference on 4 and possibly 5 flights.  No accidents, but aborted flights, that I’m not sure how they plan to resolve.  With Spread Spectrum technology, there is virtually no way to validate that radio interference occurred.  Stay tuned on that one.

After a long hot day in the sun for all, we ventured to a restaurant hand picked by Sarah.  It was so special that they were closed.  Likely forever.  🙂     But we did find a nice place just down the road, authentic enough that no one spoke a lick of English.  Lots of pointing and Google translating ensued, and we all had a nice Italian dinner and have headed back to rest up for a repeat performance tomorrow.

Oh, did I mention they served Horse for lunch?   They served horse for lunch.  Think of a steak, but...horse.  A bit different for those of us from the states but I'm told it was quite good.  We were already away from the site and did our usual fine dining fast food run.  Today's menu - Burger King.

Hats off to all the flyers today, and especially all the Jr. pilots that have found themselves on a pretty big stage at an early age.

Photos include the remaining pilot schedule for our guys, as well as summary scores for 2 of the lines.  The other two were not posted as of sending this.