[NSRCA-discussion] Arming Device for electric airplanes

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 06:32:50 AKDT 2018

Except the unfamiliar/inexperienced caller would probably not remove the arming plug either . . .

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com

 Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Arming Device for electric airplanes
 To: "Ken Dunlap" <kdunlap at hotmail.com>, "General pattern discussion" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
 Date: Thursday, September 27, 2018, 10:17 AM

 Among our challenges to follow a
 procedure ....    Plane lands,
 flight is complete.   While a
 helper/ caller, perhaps unfamiliar with that
 specific airplane, retrieves it from the runway, the
 pilot gets involved in a conversation - how flight went,
 that he is needed to judge, to call for someone, else,
 etc.  Similar items may be pulling on the
 helper/caller.  Plane now sits where?  For how
 long?  And is disarmed?   A clearly
 visible arming plug would be a big help.
 Ron Lockhart
 On September 26, 2018 at 8:14 PM
 Ken Dunlap via NSRCA-discussion
 <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote:

 Well, I am going to
 chime in with my experience. I use the Arm-safe. I have over
 1000+ flights on airplanes with this system and it has been
 bulletproof. I know there are thoughts about single points
 of failure etc etc. But here's my experience.. I have
 never seen an arming system fail, but I have seen countless
 airplanes go careening off into fences and fields because
 the pilot forgot to deactivate his/her airplane. I am
 entirely supportive of an arming rule that requires a hard
 disconnect of the airplane.
 Cheers,Ken