[NSRCA-discussion] HV Direct Drive

tjpritchett at aol.com tjpritchett at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 04:21:15 AKDT 2018

A friend of mine suggested that with high voltage equipment, a dedicated battery is not needed for the receiver and servo's.  Plugging in the balance leads from the 5s power packs directly into the on/off switch to the receiver provides the same voltage.  This is true; the red/blue wires (on my packs...) in the balance leads produce 8.4v.  A simple 5s plug and a two wire harness could be easily made to supply power to the controls, and could even be 'doubled up' to supply power from both 5s packs.  My flight pack usually only drains ~30mah per flight, so that equates to ~7mah per cell in the power pack per flight - almost unnoticeable.
So the question; is anybody doing this with success, and is it recommended?  It eliminates some complexity maintenance and weight, so it seems worth asking. The math seems to work...