[NSRCA-discussion] Matthew Finley

William Pritchett billpritch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 11:04:10 AKDT 2018

AMA met with FAA leadership last week regarding the UAS restrictions outlined in the FAA reauthorization bill, and AMA left the meeting optimistic that we could find solutions to many of the restrictions outlined in the new law.  The FAA made it clear that provisions in the bill will likely take months and years to implement and instructed our members to continue flying within AMA safety programming until instructed otherwise.  In the meantime, the FAA and AMA have created a team to begin working on an exemption process for many of the restrictions found in the legislation, including the 400’ cap in Class G airspace.  We are confident that solutions will be in place for many of the restrictions before those portions of the bill are implemented.

While we approach this FAA/AMA partnership cautiously, our two organizations have worked together successfully in the past.  I have provided a few links below, which include the AMA/FAA memorandum of understanding and the AMA/FAA safety initiative.  I have also attached an FAA UAS Integration Office letter, stating that AMA can fly over 400’ when operating within our safety programing.  I understand this this information is somewhat dated but it  shows that the FAA does have a history of recognizing AMA’s role in model aviation.
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=75599
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNowpasLHxo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10