[NSRCA-discussion] Matt Finley ( F3A Moving Forward )

Robert L. Beaubien rob at koolsoft.com
Thu Oct 4 20:15:06 AKDT 2018

The line of sight limitation is not a real issue and I believe that is/should be handled by the Part 107 license.  Anyone flying beyond line of sight needs to have a better understanding of the airspace rules and regs and that should not be left to untrained individuals.  Yes there are DJI pilots that insist they can fly well beyond line of sight, but the safety aspects of long range flight make this ill advisable.

The primary issue that FPV pilots have with the AMA rules is the spotter rule.  It’s not reasonable to require a spotter in most instances for FPV.  The pilot can SEE what is around them. The typical camera has at 150°+ FOV.

They also feel that the AMA has not been active in state/city attempts to (in many cases) crack down and make any model flying illegal.  I have been to 6 city council meetings and 2 state meetings to affect some of these attempts with limited effect.  AMA’s presence and/or guidance would have been helpful.

  *   Robert Beaubien
  *   Drone Plastics

“What do you call a firm of lawyers buried up to their necks in concrete?   A failure to estimate the proper amount of concrete.”