[NSRCA-discussion] Matthew Finley ( PATTERN TRANSPORT VEHICLE )

W Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 9 16:13:34 AKST 2018

Matt,
The caravan/Town and Country seems to be the gold standard for pattern. I had a loaded T&C (2007 model year I believe) and in my opinion the interior is incredibly well thought out and well designed. It ran reliably and was reasonably priced for a minivan.

***HOWEVER***

Over time (about 6 years or 90k miles) it went all Dodge/Chrysler on me. It rusted in places a car should not rust (roof line and around the hood) in addition to the wheel wells which almost disintegrated. The cheapness of the components became obvious over time as well.

Stupid annoying things started breaking. The side fascia where the power seat controls are housed came loose. The center console started to rattle, the plastic around the steering column came loose and would dangle. No major interior issues, just a LOT of little crap the dealer charges you an arm and a leg to fix. And, though well maintained, it burned oil, and leaked just about every fluid I put in it. I eventually got rid of it when it needed a new rack and pinion.

I would buy and own another one IF AND ONLY IF, it was a lease and I was getting a new one every couple of years or so. They are great when they are new.

I have no axe to grind, nor any manufacturer allegiance, this was just my honest experience.

I currently have a Toyota Sienna, and it's still too new to say how it will age over time, but it's been amazing so far. Expensive but top notch.

As far as the stow and go is concerned, decide how you will use it. If you intend to go between passenger vehicle and toy hauler the S&G is a huge factor. For me, I intend to remove the seats from the Toyota in April and leave them in the garage until October.

Sent from my iPad