[NSRCA-discussion] Price for a pattern plane...

John Ford jsf106 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:10:17 AKST 2018

Hank,
You make some good points, but I have to jump in on this one.
In the past 10 years, I've flown "competitively" at over 40 fields in 12
states and 4 countries. In the previous 20 years to that, maybe half as
many venues.
Over that 30-year period, contrary to being laughed off the field, I've
observed many people show up with everything from a 40-sized sport plane to
a 3D gasser, and some showing some significant wear and tear, requiring
some Saturday morning surgery (with donated time and materials) from more
experienced flyers to allow the new person to put in their rounds. I've
even seem one senior competitor, unable to fix the newcomer's plane, offer
one of his spare planes for the newcomer to fly.

Yes, we have all seen one or two crassly snobby individuals who looked down
their noses...not only at lesser planes, but at the entire Sportsman and
Intermediate classes...but I've never personally come across a
generally-present "Elitist" group that dampens the enjoyment of the sport
for others, regardless of experience level or plane choice. In fact, the
folks who tend to be financially-fortunate and who show up with the latest
and greatest planes tend to be the most generous with their time and help
for newcomers, or for anyone else. There are always a few exceptions, but
it not the general rule...that I have personally seen.

There is always someone on email lists such as this one (and others) that
will play armchair expert and start describing what plane is required for
this class and that class. It's not good information, to be polite about
it. It's ALWAYS been about the pilot and how much effort is devoted to
practice...it's NEVER been about the plane. If you examine the NSRCA
contest results and look for those same armchair experts, you'll usually
find that they haven't flown a contest in decades. Again, exceptions exist,
but anyone can win any class with a battle-worn 10-year old plane
regardless of glow or electric, or with a smaller plane. I've seen it done
in front of me several times. So has everyone else who goes to contests.

As long as your plane can climb to the top of the box, it's good
enough...just practice! You are in the hunt!

John
NSRCA 1673

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 3:25 PM Henry Pajari via NSRCA-discussion <

--
John Ford
Cell 1-816-365-0386