[NSRCA-discussion] Raffle and Paypal

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Oct 10 05:26:19 AKDT 2017

Hey All,

First I want to thank those of you that have gone ahead and purchased some raffle tickets from the team site.  There’s been a little uptick since my last post and that’s appreciated.  Thank you!  We still have a long way to go and the odds of winning are still VERY good.

I’ve had a few different people now ask me why we don’t accept PayPal for the raffle.  The answer is simple, it’s against PayPal’s acceptable use policy.    I spent a good portion of 2014 (prior to our trip to Switzerland in 2015) working with their compliance department to get approval to use it for the raffle.  It’s next to impossible.  Their reason is plausible… raffles can be fraught with litigation if there’s fraud, and every state in the union has their own guidelines and laws around them.  So for an organization like the NSRCA, doing “business” in all 50 states, Canada, and elsewhere, it’s a dead deal.  Short of having Price Waterhouse perform an audit on the whole process, they’re simply not interested in being involved.

We HAVE chosen a reliable and secure merchant service provider to handle the credit card transactions and it’s being done on a secure SSL enabled site.  I feel as good about the security as I can… But I understand given the recent Equifax hack and others that “secure” is a loose term.   Sadly that’s the world we live in.     We’re pretty low on the overall radar though, and so far less that 35 transactions for a total of approx $3000 in all.  So between obscurity, and security, I feel pretty good.

So if you haven’t bought yet… Please do!!

Thanks again for all the support you’ve given now, and over the years, and hopefully in the years to come.

-Mark

MARK ATWOOD
o.  (440) 229-2502
c.  (216) 316-2489
e.  atwoodm at paragon-inc.com<mailto:atwoodm at paragon-inc.com>

Paragon Consulting, Inc.
5900 Landerbrook Drive, Suite 205, Cleveland Ohio, 44124
www.paragon-inc.com<http://www.paragon-inc.com/>

<http://www.paragon-inc.com/>
Powering The Digital Experience