[NSRCA-discussion] Real flight with VR

Stuart Chale schale1 at outlook.com
Sat Nov 4 11:01:06 AKDT 2017

I have tried all of the sims and always ended up back with Real Flight.
Luckily never went to Real Flight X which seems to have been a flop.

Most people complain that it is difficult to use a sim for pattern and
the ability to see the box is the biggest limitation. For me to get it
to work for pattern I set the zoom to auto zoom and made a custom
version of Superstition Park air field with huge light poles in the
distance in the center and 60 degree to each side.  The basic field has
lines already on the runway.  Here is a video of last years Masters
sequence on the field. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VRdglJ5RXc&t=2s

Still has limitations but basically works.  Certainly good enough to
learn new patterns and maneuvers.  You eventually learn when center is
coming up.  You can still get disoriented and end up way off track but
it was the best I figured out.

Real Flight announced 8 with VR capability.  You can look around while
flying.  Sounds like this is what we need :)

So a brief review :)

I purchased Oculus Rift to go along wit it.  One of the 2 high end VR
headsets.  $400 with 2 sensors and its own handheld controllers.  To use
it with a full 360 degree experience another sensor is needed $60.  A
high end computer (mainly high end graphic card) is needed.  The other
current high end headset is $200 more.

As far as Real Flight it works as advertised.  You can sit or stand and
turn your head to follow your plane left and right just as you would at
the field.  You can turn around and see the pits behind you, you can
glance down and see the runway.  The problem is the resolution.  So far
(haven't looked to see if there are any setting adjustments that can be
used) it seems too low for our use.  The plane is just too blurry at the
top of the box and in turnarounds.  Not impossible to fly but just not
very good.  I still may use it but not sure.   Flying a heli right in
front of you should work (already does), playing some games or sitting
in the cockpit might be fun, not sure.

About the Oculus Rift itself with its own programs:  All I can say is I
was blown away.  Totally immersive and much more impressive than I
thought it would be.  If you have a chance to try one you should.

My wife scoffed at spending the money when she saw me looking at it  on
Amazon and now will not let me return it :)

Stuart