[NSRCA-discussion] Castle settings

GHWatson_comcast ghwatson at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 19:22:18 AKDT 2017

Mark per your request…

Team USA had another productive day here in Argentina. We are starting to find our rhythm with regard to navigating through town and settling into our surroundings. Today was a full day out at the same practice field albeit at a different location on the airport property.

We started the day checking out the small diner that sits on the airport grounds. The proprietor there seemed more than happy to accommodate any request and we had a nice breakfast of hot ham/cheese/egg sandwiches and variants there of. He accommodated us throughout the day with lunch sandwiches, burgers, and beverages. Interesting side note, Hamburgers here actually have ham… on the burger unless you specifically order it otherwise. Go figure.

It was another day of cool temps and moderately heavy winds. The days seem to start out comfortably warm with the sun providing some warmth, but so far each day has taken a chilly turn around noon as the cloud layer rolls in, and the winds crank up a notch. The high today was only around 60deg F and with winds steady at 16-18knts it becomes quite cold after you’re in it all day.

Most of the remaining teams finally arrived today. Maybe the number one highlight of participating in these events is getting to meet, and make friends with people from all over the world. We continued to practice with the Brazilian and Argentinian teams, but also got to spend time with Robin Trumpp and the German team, the gang from New Zealand (Andrew, Hamish and Suetonia) and our friends from South Africa (Roston, Andre, Clinton and Susan) who had a long struggle with airplanes getting left behind in Johannesburg. Besides having the common bond of RC model airplanes, you can easily start a conversation with anyone in this group by simply mentioning “long flight” and “$%&# customs…” and from there the conversation flows.

I haven’t really commented much on the flying thus far. Our guys are all flying extremely well. Jason, Andrew and Joseph all being veterans of WC stress were quick to lock in and demonstrate exactly why they’re veterans, handling the wind well, and flying very clean and consistent. That said, if AC is the new comer to the group, you wouldn’t know it. He’s adapted quickly to the "all team, all the time" approach we take over here, and his flying has been outstanding.

Al and I used the mid part of the day to break away from the group and go check out the contest site. I had to officially register the team and deliver back the Team trophy and JR World Champion trophy (The US has 2 of 3.. not too shabby!!) to the organizers and we used that opportunity to walk the whole site and check out both contest flight lines which are positioned about 3/4 mile apart on a 100’ wide paved runway. The site is excellent, with a completely open view to the south and virtually no visual obstructions for miles. The terrain here is all marsh, VERY flat with either low grasses or water. It appears to be a very nice venue. But windy… verrrrrry windy. The ocean is less than 3 or 4 miles to the east.

The day ended heading back to our lodging and a few of us taking a walk through the tourist town of Villa Gesell that we are in. Many of the shops and restaurants are still closed for the season until the weather warms up a little more, but there are still plenty of places to get food. Our horrible lack of Spanish speaking ability either limits our options, or tests our willingness to gamble on a cryptic menu. We gambled last night (successfully) so tonight we took the safe route and went with food we can see and simply point to! (Pizza and a few rotisserie chickens)

Tomorrow will likely be a repeat of today. We do not currently know when our model processing is scheduled for, or when our official practice slot is. That should all be made available tomorrow.

Photos: Chuck and Kevin, AC and AL... all trying to stay warm, Leslie, Andrew, Kevin and Al at the little airport diner, and the team out on the beach taking pre-dinner stroll with our new mascot Stray Dog #14.

Side note... Dinner here starts at 10pm. As in the restaurants don't open up much before that and look at you funny when you try to come in at 7:30pm (stupid Americans). Sigh... we're learning to eat late.