[NSRCA-discussion] Judging the Snap

Larry Diamond ldiamond at diamondrc.com
Sat Mar 25 08:32:33 AKDT 2017

Earl,

Yes I have read your article a few times. I believe it supports what is in the rule book and that a pattern plane can actually perform a snap.

My concern is more related to how are we actually judging, I don’t think we are locked into judging the snap at contests the way it is intended because of pushback when, in my opinion, it is scored based on the presentation… a low or zero score.

One can easily argue that if the tail displays a conical rotation, therefore the nose must have displayed a conical rotation. This is clearly a fact. Except a fast barrel roll the tail and the nose are on the same plain in reference to CG, thus “No Stall” condition. It is just that, a fast barrel roll. If you are only looking at the CG and not aware of the Nose/Tail orientation, you would deduct “5” because the CG barrel rolled around the flight path. However, the correct application to the rule is a zero, because there was no clear break in heading and the nose/tail is on the same plain in relation to CG.

IMHO… It is a fallacy to state that, “because the tail displays a conical rotation, it must be that the heading did break from the flight path”.

What am I missing?

Best Regards,

Larry Diamond