[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight

James Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 08:41:01 AKST 2017

Right on!
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: NSRCA-discussion [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On
Behalf Of James Oddino via NSRCA-discussion
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:33 AM
To: Ronald Van Putte; General pattern discussion
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight

The point was that the limit is on the mass of the model not on the force it
exerts due to gravity.  If you use a balance you will measure its mass (same
on the moon) and not be affected by gravity and all of the stuff that
affects force measuring devices.

Jim

<nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote:

> [...]
The decision was made, over the objections of the official weighers (John
Fuqua and me), that airplanes would be allowed to weigh 1% more than the
listed maximum weight of 5000gm, or 50gm.

measuring equipment".  We objected because we had purchased calibration
weights and had them verified by the Precision Measurement Equipment
Laboratory on Eglin AFB (at the cost of a sixpack of beer per set of
calibration weights).  That meant we knew exactly what the airplanes
weighed.

tolerance, or 50gm.  Suppose a contestant's model actually weighs 5050gm,
but the weighing equipment is in error by 25 grams.  So the scales would
measure the contestant's airplane at 5075gm.  Remember that the 15 allowance
is for "possible inconsistencies in measuring equipment".  The contestant's
airplane is "too heavy".