[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight

Dave Burton burtona at atmc.net
Fri Jan 27 16:35:17 AKST 2017

Amen!

-----Original Message-----
From: NSRCA-discussion [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On
Behalf Of Curt Oberg via NSRCA-discussion
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2017 7:18 PM
To: 'lucky macy'; 'General pattern discussion'
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight

Time to lobby those that will vote for the next change of rules.  I have
officially proposed eliminating the weight restrictions for Sportsman,
Intermediate, and Advanced classes.  Logically, these lower classes are
stepping stones to Masters and FAI classes, classes where the more serious
and talented flyers migrate and eventually MIGHT participate in
International competitions where the 5000 gram limit is accepted and
undisputed.  I wonder how many flyers that have shown up for an
international competition failed to make weight?  Bottom line is that the
5000 gram limit is an arbitrary weight that someone imposed a long time ago.
What's wrong with raising it to 5500 grams or better yet, eliminating it
altogether.    Considering the decline in pattern flying across the country,
I believe that we should do everything we can to encourage the lower class
flyers to participate, including at the NAT's.    These lower class flyers
are generally NOT the ones with Contra drives, they may have APC props and
Gater products Flo Thru spinners instead of the Falcon carbon fiber
products.  Their battery packs are most likely not the ultra light weight,
twice as expensive battery packs that you will find in the upper echelon
classes.  They are the ones that might not grease in every landing and have
multiple weight increasing repairs to their planes, a plane that might not
make weight right out of the box in the first place.  It doesn't take an
Einstein to figure out that if you don't have a teeming and active group of
lower class pattern flyers, it's only a matter of time when you will have no
new entrants into the Masters and FAI classes and when that occurs, will the
last one out please turn off the lights.

Curt Oberg