[NSRCA-discussion] Matt Klein

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 13:33:14 AKDT 2017

Very sorry to hear about Matt . . .my condolences to the family.

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com

 Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] Matt Klein
 To: "nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
 Date: Thursday, August 3, 2017, 12:53 PM

 I’m not even sure where to begin…

 Matt Klein, long time pattern
 flyer in the 80’s and early 90’s, younger brother of
 Mike Klein, lost his battle with brain cancer early this
 morning.  True to form, he didn’t want anyone to
 know.  The last few times I flew with him he was
 apparently
  dealing with radiation and chemo and not a word of
 complaint or discomfort.  Always happy, always quick to
 verbally jab and spar with all of us…

 When I started flying pattern in
 ’89, Matt flew at my local field and was competing in
 Expert turnaround, the first AMA pattern to have turnaround
 maneuvers.   Matt struggled with some mild mental
 disabilities, but when he had a transmitter in
  his hands, he was a fantastic, focused competitor.
   I won’t bore you with a million Matt stories, but
 one in particular will inform those that didn’t know him.
   The pattern started with a figure M with 1/4 rolls…
   Matt mistakenly rolled the wrong way
  coming down from the second stall and pushed out inverted
 rather than upright.   Now keep in mind, we use to fly
 200m out at about 800mph in those days… with pencil thin
 fuselages.  I think he was flying a curare.
 Anyway, rather than take an obvious zero,
  Matt proceeded to fly the ENTIRE remaining pattern
 inverted, only half rolling on his final landing approach.
   No zero’s.   No even a downgrade.

 The  last decade or so Matt
 turned his RC talents to Helicopters and Military scale,
 always busy building and flying.   His was a unique
 voice for what our hobby can give to a person, and what that
 person can give back.

 Please send your thoughts to Mike
 and his sister Kathy, and Dave & Sherry - Matt’s mom
 and dad who attended and competed along side Matt for so
 many years.

 I’m crushed…

 -Mark

 MARK ATWOOD