[NSRCA-discussion] 2017 World Championships

Patternpilot One patternpilot1 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:10:47 AKDT 2016

Tidewater va or FL ?

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Atwood, Mark via NSRCA-discussion" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Date: 9/2/16 5:00 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Atwood, Mark" <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com>, General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] 2017 World Championships

As I've already  gotten 5 emails on the subject and see one post on the topic, there HAS been discussion of the USA stepping up and putting in a bid.  While it's not off the table, I personally think it would be a HUGE stretch, both logistically and financially.

If you've ever been to one, the logistics of hosting 35 countries, over 100 pilots, 20 judges and running this caliber of event takes a lot of planning.  We can do it... we've done it before.  But it takes someone to champion it... so it's less about getting support, than having a leader (NO, I'm not that guy to be sure).

Second, it's a financial train wreck at the moment.  One of the reasons that countries are competing for this honor is that the current financial constraints make it almost impossible to host without losing substantial money.  The US in particular has a difficult time because we'd be required to fly in, house, feed and transport 20 judges from around the world.  Priced out that's a $75,000 hit JUST for the judges.    Sponsorship is very limited, and currently the FAI rules put a cap on how much you can charge for an entry fee.

Location is also an issue.  Muncie is an ideal site logistically, but a horrible site for drumming up patrons and spectators, who help pay the bills.

So again, while I don't think it's completely off the table, I don't suspect that the US will be putting in a bid for 2017.  There IS a group looking to prepare a bid, in conjunction with the NSRCA for 2019.  But that's obviously a bit down the road.

-M
MARK ATWOOD
o.  (440) 229-2502
c.  (216) 316-2489
e.  atwoodm at paragon-inc.com<mailto:atwoodm at paragon-inc.com>

Paragon Consulting, Inc.
5900 Landerbrook Drive, Suite 205, Cleveland Ohio, 44124
www.paragon-inc.com<http://www.paragon-inc.com/>

<http://www.paragon-inc.com/>
Powering The Digital Experience