[NSRCA-discussion] Anthony Manifesto/pattern participation

Dana Beaton danamaenia at me.com
Tue Nov 8 07:35:10 AKST 2016

Interesting conversation over the past week or so, and while I am fairly confident that we will NOT be re-writing the entire AMA rule set for pattern just because NSRCA is moving the Nats next year; I am also fairly confident that the rules do not play as large a role in participation (or not) as many would opine.  We have read a lot about folks not having the time to practice enough to feel good about competing; lots of perspectives on life gets in the way; and the many reasons members were either drawn to pattern or drifted away.  Last year the Contest Board made changes to facilitate fluidity between classes, so that work is done for the time being.  There are a whole set of issues related to parity with F3A that NSRCA is concerned with, aligning AMA rules, etc.  While I am not adding any of my own opinions to those conversations here today, suffice it to say most of the rules are ok the way they are.

We have a highly NICHE interest in precision aerobatics (what happened to IMAC?) that just does NOT appeal to many people, and which happens to be relatively expensive as a hobby/sport when one adds up travel to contests and time away from work, family and other commitments.  Same as with any competitive sport: not for everyone, time consuming, and relatively expensive compared to just enjoying the hobby part without adding competition.  Jets right now seem to be more attractive to young precision pilots, so I’ve noticed, and that is even more expensive than F3A or AMA pattern equipment!

Enjoy your lunch hour and get out and vote!  It’s the big day in America and we are all very proud to be Americans who can freely vote our conscience!