[NSRCA-discussion] Anthony Manifesto/pattern participation

Snaproll4 at aol.com Snaproll4 at aol.com
Sat Nov 5 08:12:07 AKDT 2016

I do not want to be NSRCA president, but If I were NSRCA King, this is what
 I would do:

  1.  Eliminate ALL mandatory advancement rules.  In fact,  as King, I
would ban all conversation about advancement.  I've been  saying this for 20
years, but every time this gets voted on, the proposal gets  soundly defeated.
Can't we all name a pilot who moved up to Masters and  then dropped out?
We should never have rules that discourage  participation.  This includes the
rule about trying higher  classes and not being able to move back down.

2.  Sportsman and Intermediate should be  non-turnaround. Turnaround was
the death of the casual competitor. No  2 meter planes will be allowed in
Sportsman.  You're not going to get  a club flyer to compete when there are 4
Allures and a Proteus in his  class.  This is not supposed to be a money
competition.

3. Advanced should be 50% turn-around and somewhat less difficult than  it
is today.  The emphasis here should be on the slightly more  committed pilot
and NOT as a building block for Masters.  This should  become the new
destination class.

4.  Masters should fly all rounds of FAI P, but not compete directly
against FAI pilots.  I can put up a respectable P, but I don't want to fly
against Team members. (besides, who would judge?)  The sequence would  still
change every 2 years. Think of the advantages in judging as FAI  pilots and
Masters usually judge each other.  This would eliminate the need  for
development of a new Masters schedule and let the sequence committee  concentrate on
the other 3 classes.

5.  It would be nice if we could make Sportsman two 1 day contests,
consisting of 4 rounds each day.  Perhaps they could fly two rounds  within each
flight.  Yes, that would mean 3 more awards,  but you can't expect Sportsman
pilots to spend the time and money to go to  2 day contests.  This way, a
pilot could do family stuff on  Saturday and compete on Sunday.

Steve Miller, NSRCA #673