[NSRCA-discussion] Braking question

Dave Lockhart davel322 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 16:42:34 AKST 2016

Most modern ESCs use dynamic timing….based on how the motor is responding to the ESC, the ESC adjusts the timing.  In the case of Castle ESCs, using low timing does not specifically limit the amount of timing advance (max is typically 24 degrees), but it makes the ESC more cautious / conservative about advancing the timing.  With other ESCs, setting them to 15 or 20 degrees is typically limiting them to a maximum advance of the specified number, but they are still using dynamic timing.

In practice, set the ESC for the timing recommended.  Running milder timing MAY slightly reduce power, improve efficiency, and drop operating temperatures.  Running more advanced timing MAY slightly increase power and increase operating temperatures.  With the modern ESCs and brushless motors, the differences are rarely substantial.  With geared low pole count inrunners (like Neu 1513-xx, Hacker C50-xx), motors with “D” winds are not going to benefit from high timing.  Motors with “Y” winds may show slightly more RPM with advanced timing, but, the power consumption will also increase (likely not as efficient).

Braking….take a motor with the 3 motor wires “bare”.  Spin the motor and note the resistance.  Pinch 2 of the 3 motor leads together and spin the motor again…the resistance will be increased.  This is effectively what the ESC does in brake mode….and the motor has effectively become a generator – if you use an Eagletree data logger you can see the current spike when the brake is engaged – that is current flowing back into the battery.  When the ESC is in “brake” mode, it is “blind” to the rotational position of the motor, so when the brake is disengaged, the ESC has to “restart” the motor, and that is when problems can happen.  If the ESC badly mis-times the motor, it is like a backfire, and it can be strong enough to pitch the prop/spinner loose or off the plane.  In my experience, mis-timing is more likely to occur when higher brake percentages are used – the more current generated by the motor, the more “noise” there is to confuse the ESC, and the noise does not dissipate as quickly.

I’ve run brake setups on Castle, OS, and Jeti (Mezon).  In my experience, all can mis-time the motor on a restart (after the brake was engaged).  With Castle ESCs, no delay, medium or fast ramp, and 30% brake strength is what I run on just about everything….and it is very rare to have a mis-timing on restart.  On the OS, I found about 50-60% brake provided the same downline braking as the Castle at 30%, and at values over 80%, mis-timing could occur.  Depending on the prop used, and the drag of the plane, some setups can use (and benefit) from slightly higher brake settings.  On smaller motors (<40 sized), substantially more brake strength can be used, to the point that the prop is rotating so slowly that the plane actually starts to speed up in a downline.  The effective brake strength is greater with geared motors, and higher pole count motors.

On Brenner’s V4 contra, the combination of the high pole count Kontronik Pyro and the 7:1 gearing of the Contra results in very strong braking – I had to drop the Castle brake strength to 15% to keep the props spinning fast enough to provide maximum downline braking.  With the Mezon on the V4, 26% brake provided the same downline braking as the Castle at 15%, however, I was getting mis-starts until I dropped the brake strength to 16% - mis-start meaning the throttle would simply fail to respond after a downline with the brake on – sometimes it would throttle up after a brief delay, or after .5 – 1.0 seconds, or after cycling the throttle stick.

I’ve only run 1 sample of the OS ESC and 1 sample of the Mezon, so I consider those data points less definitive (~50 flights each) than Castle (1,000s of flights).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

Team Castle Creations