[NSRCA-discussion] Braking question

Keith Hoard klhoard at outlook.com
Tue Mar 1 04:39:34 AKST 2016

None.

When I went to a lower pitch prop (22x13.5), it started making a loud
screeching sound unscrewing itself on downlines at the Cajun Nats.  I was
using a Castle 80HV ESC with 10% braking enabled.

The reason, I surmised, was that on downlines the prop is driving the motor.
If you have braking enabled, the motor is sending power forward to stop the
propeller, thus they begin fighting each other.  The lower the pitch of your
prop, the higher RPM that the prop is trying to drive the motor, and the
harder it is fighting the ESC brake.

Also, changing atmospheric conditions (temperature and pressure - in
combination known as Density Altitude) can make it harder to troubleshoot.
In my example, this prop/ESC combo did just fine at Muncie (high Density
Altitude) and Memphis.  But then the prop began screeching and unscrewing
itself at the Cajun Nats (low Density Altitude).

TL;DR - Keith doesn't use ESC braking.

-Keith Hoard
-klhoard at outlook.com