[NSRCA-discussion] CF End Grain sheet for Servo/Battery tray?

Matthew Kebabjian rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 14:42:48 AKST 2016

You right on cheapest, easiest. Lightest is still carbon laminated 2 lb honeycomb. Next lightest is carbon laminated cross grained balsa, about 6 lb stock, which is actually stronger than the honeycomb. But both of these solutions cost 5x what the balsa -ply composite costs. I make the carbon-balsa for firewalls in my gas planes. The 1/4" is plenty strong for 60cc engines.

The carbon laminates are available from ACP. For those that still make some stuff for your models, I've written about this type of lamination before but might be worth repeating....use a food saver vacuum bag. The honeycomb will require support plates, both sides. I use plexiglass from Home Depot, waxed with PartAll. Balsa needs nuthin.

Matt Kebabjian