[NSRCA-discussion] FAA Drone Registration

Dana Beaton danamaenia at me.com
Sat Jan 23 03:18:59 AKST 2016

Given where we have been as a hobby, what is happening at the moment with registration, and where AMA thinks we are headed based on their advocacy and negotiations with the administration, the new AC 91-57A change 1 guidance is the most complete and up-to-date document put out.  We need to keep our eye on this one and use it as the measuring stick for any other claims that are made, including the registration site itself.
e. Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL).

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf

Our own AMA guidelines are based on the original AC 91-57 from years ago which is now history.  That tells me that our AMA guidelines are now out of step with the times.  While I will do my best to continue observe the AMA guidelines we have, this new AC is my reference for the discussions I am having with officers and flying buds of the 3 AMA clubs where I fly.  What we are working through this week are the various notifications and documentation to coordinate with nearby airports.  This is our immediate task at hand while the altitude limitations discussions continue between AMA and regulators.  What are your clubs doing to shift the burden of notification from each individual member, every time they fly, to the club itself as a mutually agreed upon operating procedure? And how are your clubs documenting this procedure?