[NSRCA-discussion] Looks like 400' is going to be OK-

Dana Beaton danamaenia at me.com
Mon Jan 11 08:11:06 AKST 2016

The President of one of the local AMA clubs shared an uncomfortable story in an e-mail last week.  That and the AMA FAQ from the Expo helped me to decide to register this morning, which I did.  Here is what was shared, in part...

I have also read about a flyer, who was flying his helicopter at a flying field just south of here being asked by a police officer to produce his registration… Unfortunately the FAA put out correspondence to local law enforcement regarding the handling of sUAS investigation. However, and this should be of little surprise, some of that information was incorrect. This may potentially lead to overzealous investigation of model flyers.

While it seems unlikely that this kind of thing might happen to me, this time of year, at the AMA club fields I fly at; I made the choice to have a registration number on hand in case I am asked for it by local law enforcement.  While we certainly have a legal basis for a good defense, any legal defense costs more money than I would want to spend in order to justify flying my pattern plane.  So the personal decision to just register and be covered in the short-run while AMA fights the good fight over the long-run.