[NSRCA-discussion] Looks like 400' is going to be OK-

Jeff and Claire jeffclaire at cableone.net
Mon Jan 11 06:10:04 AKST 2016

AMA Updated their FAQ:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2016/01/11/update-uas-registration-f
requently-asked-questions/

Contains this:
Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying
otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights
above 400 feet, are still allowed to fly and are protected by the Special
Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The
federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet
applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of
a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA
about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its
website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does
not apply to AMA members.
Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number
on my aircraft?
A: No. AMA has secured a concession from the FAA that allows AMA members to
continue using their AMA numbers as the primary identification on his or her
aircraft. AMA members are required to still have a hard copy or electronic
copy of the federal registration certificate on them while flying.