[NSRCA-discussion] Growing Pattern for 2017 - Part 1 (Provoking only Honest Thought)

Larry Diamond ldiamond at diamondrc.com
Fri Dec 23 09:33:50 AKST 2016

First and foremost. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!!

Over the 2016 season, I have put a lot of thought into the question of
growing pattern and have talked with members at all levels in the NSRCA
about varying topics. I have also reflected on my own personal experience
dating back to 2003. If we seem to know and understand the why, then why
can't or haven't we been able to grow pattern?

After eading many posts on this discussion group and RCU. I have came to
only one conclusion that addresses all the problems that have been
collectively identified in basically three catagories:

1)      Investment of Capital (Money)

2)      Investment of Time (Contests, Travel, Practice, SetUp, etc.)

3)      Commitment (base of the Triangle)

Like a fire triangle, these three components are required to sustain growth
for any product. We have identified concerns with all three areas as to why
prospective pilots do not buy into one, two, or all three components. I do
not and cannot buy into these three catagories as the reason or root-cause
preventing growth. It is much deeper than that. In sales terms, they are
simply objections that we have not been able to overcome. If this phylosophy
is correct, then "Why can't we grow pattern"?

If we apply formal problem solving processes used in a business setting (5
Why's, Fishbone, etc.) "and" we are honest with our assessment of our
product (NSRCA), from my point of view the common root-cause is simply
"Culture".

Having been in and out of compitition since 2007, the one thing that keeps
coming back to me is the change in Culture. The change I observed, is "The
lack of change itself".

The one question we should be asking ourselves is, "What is it about our
culture that would stop/prevent people from buying our product, the NSRCA?"

This concludes Part 1. My only intent for now is to provoke thought, not
discussion, about the topic of the NSRCA Culture; and, then start the
discussions after Christmas.

Again, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!

Larry Diamond

NSRCA 3083

AMA5024