[NSRCA-discussion] Servo connector crimping tool?

Ed White edvwhite4 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 11:04:06 AKDT 2015

Here's my $0.02.  I have the cheap "junk" MPI crimper and I've used an
actual Molex brand crimper so both ends of the spectrum.  My observations
are:  The MPI crimper will make perfectly good crimps/connectors but it is
a lot more fiddly. You have to get the connector in the crimper just so and
it takes practice to learn what is just so.  One issue is that the jaws are
shallow, you have to be careful or the connector will twist as you squeeze
and be ruined. Look at the Hansen one that is highly recommended (and some
of the others as well, the jaws are much deeper, as they are on the Molex
brand crimpers. Also on the MPI crimper if the connector is not placed just
right it will be bent slightly and difficult to fit into the housing.
Again, it will make perfectly good crimps, its just a bit fiddly.

Second big issue is placing the wire in the connector as you close the
jaws.  In too far and the insulation gets crimped into the area that is
supposed to be only wire.  In not far enough and the strain relief area
doesn't grab the insulation.  On the MPI crimper you can't see and have to
guess (or mark the insulation to give you a gauge mark).  On the Molex
crimper one side is open and you can see the wire as it is going into the
jaws.

So a question for you all, on any of the other recommended crimpers can you
see the wire as you are closing the jaws?

Ed

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Ronald Van Putte via NSRCA-discussion <