[NSRCA-discussion] Arming plug and Failsafe +

Vicente Bortone vincebrc at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:02:28 AKDT 2015

Jason,

The most important part of your experience is that you were able to see
that the arming plug was still in place. At least you have chance to ask if
plane was armed and question the pilot. I got a real experience that I
would like to share. We were only three pilots at the field. One of them
put his plane in the pits. The other pilot and me were next to him. Few
minutes later the owner went to get something and walk away from the plane.
After he left, his plane took off in flying over the pits and flew away
crashing in the middle of the runway. We were lucky that nobody was hit and
were were only three pilots. I was a real wake up experience since we never
were aware that the plane was armed.  We never found what was the real
cause of the problem since the plane was destroyed. For sure the owner left
the plane armed and didn't have the arming plug. The radio was off as far
as I know but never really have a chance to confirm this.  After the scare,
I had a chance to talk and recomend to add an arming plug.  The plane
owner went ahead and added arming plugs to all his planes and he was glad
to know that there is a way to potentially avoid this type of incident
again.  It is clear that the arming plug won't fix anything if pilots
leaves the arming plug in place but give the oportunity to fellow pilots to
warm him of a potential problem.  I just read John Ford's e-mail.  He makes
the point more clearly than me but I think this is one real life
example that confirms what he just said.

Thanks,

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 7:36 PM wayg2013 via NSRCA-discussion <