[NSRCA-discussion] arming device

David circuitboard35 at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 14:20:12 AKDT 2015

Like I said, I wasn't trying to stir the pot. Couple of comments on this group of replies. First, to test the failsafe by turning off the transmitter is not really a complete test of all possible failure modes but a check of one specific type of failure. It would be like pulling the trigger on a gun to make sure it's not loaded without actually without physically checking the chamber for a round. Second, as far as the AMA not taking a position on arming switches, how about we compare this to a different type of situation. For average car drivers, (millions of sport flyers),the government doesn't require roll cages or other specialized pieces of safety equipment. However if you want to compete with a car that is more powerful than an average street car in almost anything such as nascar or drag racing the organizing body for that special interest group does require the extra safety equipment. As far as with glow engines, yes that is a different story as far as safety concerns as my professional expertise would keep me from making any kind of statement like this. At that point it would be just an opinion rather than an fact.

The loss of signal is just one failure mode, which is one of the points I was trying to get across with the reopening of this can of worms. Just because the AMA doesn't require use of a safety device, shouldn't we as a special interest group take lead in the safety of ourselves and those around us.

I am not advocating any particular device, just a type that physically breaks the circuit. I really like the way something like the Emcotec disconnect looks, and arms by removing the pin, but it being a circuit too is still subject to being another failure mode and wouldn't be a way I would depend on as a true safety.

Again I wasn't trying to stir the pot, I was just trying to share with you something I have some expertise in. As far as spins and downwind turns, yes I have opinions on those, but that's all they are is opinions and not based on professional knowledge.

David