[NSRCA-discussion] Could this allow automated scoring?

Daniel Underkofler underdw at gmail.com
Sat May 9 05:08:23 AKDT 2015

It's great to see technology like this approaching for at least partial
automated judging.

Seems that resolving the altitude component adequately is the largest
challenge.  To address this, I had envisioned a local set of 3 "beacons",
each emitting GPS-like signals that are received and processed by a
transponder in the model.  Yeah - expensive and even more out in the future.

In the short term, using high resolution and update GPS to resolve XY
location might be useful for partial judging.  Human judges would still be
responsible for the majority of the scoring, but a "correction factor" for
XY errors might be factored in.  For instance, it is terribly hard to judge
the geometry of the horizontal triangle in F15, but given good XY data, a
portion of the score could be addressed.  Distance and  parallelism to the
runway could also be determined and factored in (somehow).

Dan

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 9:33 PM, John Gayer via NSRCA-discussion <