[NSRCA-discussion] Matt Finley ( Arming Plug )

Steve Hannah shannah1806 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:49:30 AKST 2015

I agree 100% with Jerry.

The multiple throttle kill approach is the best. I have seen the same things as Jerry. The best safety approach is always a multi-pronged solution.

I use a slider to drop the throttle below arming level and a switch to nullify the throttle stick. Then, for added security I always hold the stick down with my thumb as my caller/helper retrieves the plane. They usually don't turn off the receiver so I assume my plane is live until I prove otherwise and shut it down.

An external plug is one way, but I fail to see how it provides any more safety than my method. Switching it off from my transmitter and disabling the throttle stick are very secure means and I know the ESC has been shut down. I don't rely on a person to pull a plug.

Along with that, proving you have a failsafe is a reasonable request and shouldn't be an issue for anyone.