[NSRCA-discussion] How to safely arm/disarm your motor packs?

John Ford jsf106 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 04:28:21 AKST 2015

In my experience, the fact that I have a physical wire and bullets hanging out in the breeze on the side of the plane makes it even easier for the caller to remember to disconnect it before picking the plane up. As stated previously, it also displays very obviously to even the layperson spectator that the plane isn't going anywhere and is safe to walk around…which can't be said about internal disconnects, or even arming plugs.

Speaking of Safety Engineering, if the NSRCA were to call ANY specialized safety engineering firm, or ask someone from IEEE, for instance, for expert advice on how to do Energy Isolation on our planes, they would all say the same things…first, create some standard design of internal wiring…second, that the wiring terminates in a physical, visible, accessible, positive isolation device. Thirdly, that there is a means of demonstrating that the energy isolation path cannot be defeated, short of reversing the isolation device itself.
These basic concepts come from decades of electrical engineering experiences where, unfortunately, thousands of individuals have been injured or killed due to lack of adequate energy isolation. These accidents range from as little as simple low DC-level shocks all the way to ugly high-hp drives.
We aren't debating anything new here.

On another note, I agree totally with the fail-safe check prior to a contest. At least, it reduces the likelihood of a radio cause-factor as a factor in a rogue plane incident. But, to me, that is totally outside of the energy isolation equation. Even if the chief designer of the Futaba, JR, or JETI firmware were to set up my plane to "lock out" the motor circuit by means of the firmware, I'd not put my own son (who flies Masters with me) in front of the plane to "test" it. What right do I then have to endanger anyone else with that same illusion of "control"?

Regardless of what technology we use, I will treat every plane like a loaded gun, regardless of what the pilot says or does. If someone shows up with a plane that has external disconnect and I take a peak inside to confirm that the disconnect is in fact in the battery circuit, then I might relax a little and trust that person's plane more than anyone else's.
Short of that, every plane is a random chain of widgets with a set of 5hp electric knives on the front end. Nothing more, nothing less.